Sloe News Day 09 . 24 . 21
Every week Sloe gathers the best articles on handmade fashion and sustainable style. You can get Sloe News Day delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.
Here are a few of our favorite reads from the past week.
Thanks to everyone who watched the Low Down last night! Hannah, Katya, and I had an absolute blast. I’m really looking forward to our next one.
Hannah put together a great tutorial for joining Discord. If you haven’t already, take a peek so you have time to get comfy with it ahead of the next Low Down.
Discord is like an old school chat room or message board, but more private. We keep it open to all subscribers, but Low Downs are usually reserved for our Premium and Business subscribers.
When we started the Sloe Discord, we imagined it would be a place you could drop in and discuss articles you read on Sloe, share your WIPs, and plan future projects.
To keep things organized, Discord has what they call “Channels.” each channel is for a different topic. We’ve set up a few for each of our favorite crafts: sewing, knitting, and quilting. We’d love for you to join us.
This week’s new releases is FULL of great new makes for fall. I haven’t been sewing much lately, but the Pauline Dress from Closet Core might just pull me out of retirement. I’m super into statement sleeves and square necks right now.
Some of you may already know, but I teach pattern grading with A Masterclass on Grading. I’m working on an article for next week’s #SND about the history of size charts and how they’ve changed over the years. If there’s anything you’ve wanted to know about size charts, drop me a line!
Until Next Week,
Julie, Sole Co-Founder
- Built Not To Last: How To Overcome Planned Obsolescence [Sierra Club]
- Centuries Old Levi’s Discovered in Abandoned Mine [Nerdist]
- The Fabulous Side of Sustainable Fashion [W Magazine]
- Op Ed: Garment workers behind ‘Made in USA’ label are horribly underpaid. Newsom can end wage theft [LA Times]
- It’s Fashion Month, we love these unique looks from TOMBOGO [No Kill Magazine]
- Invisible Threads: PL Henderson reflects on her work highlighting women artists on social media [Four Seasons Magazine]
- Not fiber arts focused, but maybe you can relate: The Digital Death of Collecting [Kyle Chayka]
- Americans Have No Idea What The Supply Chain Really Is [The Atlantic]