Sloe News Day 09 . 17 . 21
Every week Sloe gathers the best articles on handmade fashion and sustainable style. You can get Sloe News Day delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.
Here are a few of our favorite reads from the past week.
We have a lot of new subscribers joining us this week!
Thank you for subscribing to Sloe, we’re so glad to have you.
The Met Costume Gala returned earlier this week and by now you’ve probably already seen one of my favorite dresses. It was made by Katya Ekimian, a talented young designer who advocates for the conservation of rare and endangered sheep breeds. This year’s gala theme is “American Independence” and with that as her inspiration, Katya created a custom knitted gown from wool that was grown and spun right here in the USA.
Katya will be joining Sloe next Thursday, September 23rd at 7pm ET for our September Low Down. She’ll tell us all about the process and about her work conserving rare and endangered sheep breeds.
The Low Down is a monthly discussion series we hold on the Sloe Discord server. For Sloe Premium and Business subscribers it’s a free perk included with the price of your subscription. Paid subscribers who join the Discord server will automatically gain access to the Low Down channel.
Not a paid Sloe subscriber? You can still join us by purchasing a ticket here. And as a bonus, your ticket includes a code for 1 free month of Sloe Premium or Sloe Business.
I’ve been trying to come up with a reason to hang out with Katya since I first discovered her Instagram account over a year ago. You’re not going to want to miss this!
This week on the blog we’re talking about how to beat creative block, discovering some of the oldest known evidence of humans making clothing, and taking a look at some new fall makes we want to add to our wardrobe.
Don’t forget, Sloe is completely ad free and subscriber supported. If you like what we do, consider getting a subscription to support independent craft journalism.
And if you want to write for Sloe, we want to hear from you! You can learn more about our submission process here.
Until Next Week,
Julie, Sloe Co-Founder
- Playing Dress Up [Sew Queer]
- How To Set In a Circle (without too much swearing) [Leila_Sews via Instagram]
- How cute is this little work of art? [oomieknits via Instagram]
- Scientists Find evidence of humans making clothes 120,000 years ago [The Guardian]
- Knitrino launched a monthly club to teach beginners how to knit [Knitrino]
- Grainline Studio is hosting a MAL for the Courtland Trench [Grainline Studio via Instagram]
- Maternity Wear Has a Waste Problem [Fashionista]Tyler McCall, Fashionista’s Editor In Chief also had a great explainer on how The Met Gala works [TikTok]