Sloe News Day 08 . 27 . 21
Every week Sloe gathers the best articles on handmade fashion and sustainable style. You can get Sloe News Day delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.
Here are a few of our favorite reads from the past week.
It’s hard to believe we’re so close to the end of August.
My CSA just gave us the first pears of the season, which seems like an aggressive reminder (if you think fruit is capable of aggression) that summer is nearing its end.
My main craft is knitting, so cooler weather is always appreciated. And we all know fall is the time to really start dressin’. What are you most looking forward to getting out of storage? Do you have any new projects planned yet? I have a sweater quantity of Hinterland’s Range stashed and I’m using it as a carrot to inspire me to finish up a few other projects on my plate. If not, we got you covered!
This week we’re launching two new features, free for all subscribers:
- New Releases is a weekly post that gathers new and notable patterns from designers and brands across the craft industry.
- Classifieds is published bi-weekly. It’s your one-stop-shop to find design calls, job listings, and other opportunities to grow your network and your business.
Want to make sure your designs and job listings are included? Get in touch.
It’s so exciting to see Sloe start to grow into itself! Hannah and I really enjoy putting Sloe News Day together for you every week. You can help us keep it up by becoming a paid subscriber.
Sloe is ad free and subscriber supported. Free subscribers enjoy access to one free Premium article per month, but a wider world awaits! Paid subscribers get access to 4-8 articles per month and fun perks like access to our Discord server, and intimate monthly craft nights where we chat with notable makers from across disciplines. Smash that subscribe button to get the full Sloe experience!
Until Next Week,
Julie, Sloe Co-Founder
- The Cotton Tote Crisis [NYT]
- As a companion to the article above, here’s an excellent piece by Zoe Schlanger from 2019 [Quartz]
- What Role Will Our Clothes Play in Adapting to a Warming Planet? [Fashionista]
- When a Hobby Becomes a Job [Vox]
- Is the Bangladesh Accord the right model for legal accountability? Manufactured Podcast says No. [Instagram]
- Climate-conscious individual choices are good – but not nearly enough to save the planet. More than personal virtue, we need collective action [The Guardian]
- The Emperor’s New Clothes takes on a whole new meaning when applied to NFT fashion. [Financial Times]