Sloe News Day 07 . 30 . 21
Every week Sloe gathers the best articles on handmade fashion and sustainable style. You can get Sloe News Day delivered to your inbox by subscribing to our newsletter.
Here are a few of our favorite reads from the past week.
Are you ready to party?
As we head towards the first week of August, Julie and I are getting pretty excited about the official launch date for Sloe News. This project has been months in the making, but it felt more real and tangible than ever before as we hired our first round of writers for August’s rollout.
We’ll begin the celebration next Thursday for the return of the #SloeDownLowDown with special guest, August’s Featured Maker, Geraldine Yang of The Wandering Flock yarns. Geraldine not only dyes striking yarns, she also hosts Knitting Around New York, one of the city’s largest knitting clubs (so she knows how to throw a party). Join us in the Sloe Discord group on August 5, 2021, at 6 PM Central / 7 PM Eastern for this free party!–forward this email and invite your friends!
I’m so excited to introduce you to our August writer lineup and share more of what we’ve been working on in the coming weeks.
- The BIPOC MAL 2021 has begun [Instagram]
- We’re cheering for Tom Daley, an Olympic diver from the UK who also knits and crochets [Instagram]
- A new wardrobe series from Shelli Can, The Farmer’s Daughter Fibers and Ritual Dyes has been announced. [Pieces Handbook]
- Radicle Threads Issue 1 Pre-Order ends soon [Radicle Threads]
- Resale sites are increasingly catering to investment-minded customers. Do you buy with an intent to resell? [Modern Retail]
- Western wildfires are sending carbon offsets up in smoke [Gizmodo]
- What is the ‘true cost’ of a fast fashion garment? [The Guardian]